Monday, August 11, 2008

Judgement Day

I have a bit of an inferiority complex. Maybe more of a class distinction complex because I feel like I do not belong in certain stores. I come from your average WASP family but when it comes to stores like hugo boss, BCBG or Coach I feel like I do not belong. I always feel like the sales associates are watching me, judging me and thinking to themselves "what is she doing in here?". People think I am crazy and that I have a huge chip on my shoulder, but I can't help it. I have been like this for a few years now. It's crazy because you cannot always tell someones class by what they look like and no one no matter what should be judged like that. Anything these days can be a fake and I know a number of wealthy people that just bum around in sweats all the time.
When you think about it, it is actually quite ridiculous because the people working at these retail locations are not necessarily well off themselves or they wouldn't be working there. So it is kind of a "pot calling the kettle black" type thing. These associates are just like me with there student or summer jobs. I should not feel so inferior when I can semi afford the clothes (not coach though). Plus, stores need business, so they would welcome you anyway. Roosevelt once said something that rings very true to me, he said "no one can make you feel inferior without your consent". I automatically bow down to people who intimidate me. I don't know why, but I do it all the time. I become silent and shy away. In that respect I have become a person I do not want to be, but I know that behaviours can change so all I need to do is work on it, now that I have identified what i do and when.
All of this reminds me of my favourite movie Pretty Woman when Julia Roberts goes into that posh store and the sales clerks treat her like dirt. It may be due to these types of movies or advertising which has put these notions into my head. When I see an ad and look at the type of woman that is pictured with the product, I see that I am not like the person who is supposed to buy these things. Call me crazy, I do love shopping but these thoughts cross my mind more and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin